Please join us on Wednesday, June 17, at 6:00 p.m. via Zoom video conference for small group discussion of topics related to systemic racism and discrimination. Discussion will be based on readings from The New York Times 1619 Project and episodes from the “Seeing White” podcast series, which participants are encouraged to review in advance. Small group discussion is intended to provide an interactive forum for participants to go deeper in their learning and, together, tackle difficult questions regarding our country’s long history of racist ideas and policies. All are invited to join the discussion, and previous attendance at our related Abolishing Slavery Seminar Series is not a prerequisite.
Preregistration for the small group discussion is required. Please sign up at the registration link below.
Reading and listening assignments for June 17 discussion:
These resources are available here or by following the links below.
- “The Idea of America” by Nikole Hannah-Jones (p. 14-26 from the 1619 Project Magazine) (hardcopy or pdf available online)
- Seeing White Part One: “Turning the Lens” (podcast)
- Seeing White Part Two: “How Race Was Made” (podcast)
- Seeing White Part Three: “Made in America” (podcast)
- Seeing White Part Four: “On Crazy We Built A Nation” (podcast)