M. Jason AsbellPartner
Jason represents businesses and individuals in business disputes, white-collar criminal defense, professional licensing matters, and student disciplinary proceedings in Lancaster, Harrisburg, and the Middle and Eastern Districts of Pennsylvania. Jason represents clients in state and federal court in trials and appeals.
Here is how he describes his practice:
“I approach each case with a singular focus – achieving the best possible outcome for the person or business that I represent, according to that client’s specific objectives. I realize that when a person or business approaches me, it is unfortunately because something terrible has happened. Perhaps they’re involved in a criminal investigation, or they’ve been sued, or their professional license is at risk, or their business is being attacked or damaged. They need a resolute advocate who will also provide them with sound advice to navigate this difficult situation. That is my role, and I am there to help.”
In his criminal law and professional licensing practice, Jason counsels individuals and businesses in response to government subpoenas and investigations and represents clients at trial and before administrative hearing boards. He serves on the Criminal Justice Act Panel for the Middle District of Pennsylvania.
Jason firmly believes that in white collar criminal defense matters, the best result is achieved if the government can be persuaded to forego prosecution. As the famous Chinese military general Sun Tzu taught, the greatest victories are won without battle. However, if this cannot be accomplished, Jason is prepared to vigorously advocate at trial.
In his civil litigation practice, Jason regularly represents individuals and businesses in contract disputes and trade secret matters. Jason also represents students who have been accused of misconduct.
Jason is committed to environmental causes. He is currently working towards his LLM in Environmental Law at Lewis & Clark Law School.
Prior to entering private practice Jason served as an assistant district attorney, where he tried numerous jury and bench trials.
Jason lives in Lancaster with his wife and three kids. He is the Committee Chair for Cub Scouts Pack 93.
Recent Representative Matters
- White collar criminal defense:
- Represented business owner in federal investigation related to business practices. After negotiations with federal prosecutors, no charges were filed.
- Represented doctor in state criminal investigation related to prescribing practices. After negotiations, matter was resolved with no criminal charges.
- Represented a veterinarian in a federal criminal investigation. After negotiation with federal prosecutors, no charges were filed.
- Represented a business executive in a federal criminal investigation. After negotiation with federal prosecutors, no charges were filed.
- Business litigation:
- Business tort: Represented a business sued for allegedly engaging in tortious conduct. Summary judgment granted in favor of the business, and the claims were dismissed with prejudice.
- Noncompete: Represented a management-level employee in a noncompete case where his former employer sought to prohibit the employee from taking a new job. The employer’s motion for a preliminary injunction was denied.
- Emory University School of Law, J.D.
- Wake Forest University, B.A., cum laude
- Lewis & Clark Law School, LLM in Environmental Law, pending
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Lancaster Representative in House of Delegates
- Cub Scouts Pack 93, Committee Chair
- Lancaster Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Alabama (voluntarily inactive status)
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Alabama (voluntarily inactive status)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
[featuredvideos]Return to Attorneys